2006-01-02

Pires: Arsenal is just an option

French player Robert Pires says he is open to offers from another clubs. However, he wont rush a decision on whether his future lies at Highbury.

The midfielder has less than six months remaining on his Arsenal contract, and although he has been offered a new one-year one, beginning in the summer, Robert wants two years.

He is free to negotiate with other tems now, under terms of the Bosman ruling, but just after talks with coach Arsene Wenger will he be ready to declare whether this season is to be his last after six years at Arsenal. "I am now free to commit myself to another club," said Pires.

"I don't want to get worried with this for now. I will see what happens. I will meet with Arsene Wenger this month. I will see what he wants to do with me before making any decision about my future." Pires said.

Pires has been out of the French national team for the past year after a series of rows with manager Raymond Domenech, but he recently expressed his hope of winning back his place in time for the World Cup.

He told today's L'Equipe newspaper: "I think I can play at the highest level for another two seasons and I am open to any proposal.

"Everything will depend on the professional and financial terms. Mentally and physically I feel I am still at the top."

No comments: